Thursday, January 13, 2011

Flesh Season - What Am I to Do?

If I follow Christ, it's good for me, going to the pool water of a public park, public beach or public (the key word here is "public")? In this day and time, public sunbathing, swimming, public areas and immodest or inappropriate clothing seemed to be related. Even if we do not place that can directly answer this specific question, we find the divine principles that our behavior with regard to public places must go on the above,along with our "public water apparel". 

Let's begin with a basic premise, and examine the Scriptures to find the truth; God wants us to enjoy the things He has given us (1 Tim. 6:17), so public water activities are not wrong, in and of themselves. However, when the faithful Christian engages in this kind of public activity, members of the world will be present and participating, as well. Therefore, we know going in that we will be exposed to...the exposed! 

Worldly attire will be displayed by the world, and we all know that a "worldly bikini" contains less fabric than an average kid's sock! This reality can cause the faithful follower of Christ inherent problems.

Lust of the flesh. Public water activities are filled with people who are "scantily" dressed, and much (if not most) of their flesh is visible. Jesus said, "But I say unto you, that whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart" (Mt. 5:28). Consider the book of James regarding the possible progression of lust, "Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death" (James 1:15). Those who are weak in this area should refrain from public sun-bathing and water activities.

Immodest clothing worn by a Christian. "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array" (1Ti 2:9). Modest apparel applies to both men and women, and we must always dress in a manner which is modest, appropriate, and befitting of one who is called an ambassador of Christ Jesus; Christian. Paul wrote, "I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called" (Eph 4:1).  

If we're immodest in our dress, we may cause the world to lust after us. I have seen Christians forget this simple principle, and dress in ways which can cause others to lust. Jesus said, "But who so shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea" (Mt 18:6).  

If we're immodest in our dress, we may cause the world to believe that their immodesty is permissible in God's eyes, thus "approving of" their own immodesty. One of the most common observations I hear from the lost is, "I don't see any difference in my lifestyle, and a Christian's lifestyle". This is a sad perception that many Christians have created, and it's shameful.     

Should a Christian participate in public sun-bathing, public swimming, and public water-sports? I cannot answer this question for you, but if you are tempted by lust of the flesh, you should not go.  Peter  wrote, "Dearly beloved, I  beseech  you  as strangers and pilgrims, abstain fromf leshly lusts, which war against the soul" (1Pe 2:11). If you refuse to cover your own flesh, you should not go (remember that I'm talking about PUBLIC attendance, not at a private facility).

Mike, I don't have a problem with lust of the flesh, and I want to take my family to a public beach - what should I wear? I recommend exposing only the legs below the knees, and the arms. Therefore, "knee-length" shorts and T-shirts; never reveal your legs above the knees, or the upper torso (midriff, back). And ladies, I would also recommend some type of neoprene aqua-Socks.  Research reveals that some men have "foot fetishes", and they derive lustful thoughts from seeing women's feet.  Now, some in our brotherhood may disparage me because of my comments in this article, and may accuse me of being permissive for stating that it's fine for a Christian to even go to a public beach, but I cannot answer for another person in respect to this issue. I can only point to God's Word on the matter, and try my best to offer scriptural advice (1 Peter 4:11).

Sometimes we simply do not want to face the honest fact at the core of the issue...Christian people, especially teenagers, engage in summer water activities, and they want to know what's appropriate to wear. If you're going to go, then be aware of the The temptations, your own weaknesses and modest dress. Cover the skin and protect your review!

No comments:

Post a Comment