Sunday, January 16, 2011

fascinating facts about the history Myrtle Beach - still a great spot for holidays

Have you ever been to Myrtle Beach, SC, for a family vacation? So I did. There are images from the mid-fifties to me and my brother play in the sand in the Windy Hill. Then, years later, when I raised my family, we came to Myrtle Beach, at regular intervals, usually staying in one of the seaside camp sites to receive more visitors than in reality today, when most of the RV are also now instead of curtains .

I livedhere for 20 years and I learned some interesting tidbits' of history that I share with you. First, the origin of the name "Myrtle" Beach. This area is still full of wax myrtle beautiful flower to bloom every June or July and stay in most of the summer. Their flowers are beautiful shades of pink, purple and white. The median line of myrtle on our roads. I have several in my garden. No serious property herewithout some myrtle.

Some of you may know that the player Lakes Country Club Pine Beach is the oldest golf course in Myrtle. In the early 1920's, businessmen, a group of holiday elegant building (which is now the Pine Lakes Country Club) and the Ocean Forest Hotel.

The golf course was completed in 1927 and today is elegant and reminiscent of the good life of the past. Sam Snead and Gene Sarazen, well-known names for each golfersocialized with the Vanderbilts and the Rockefellers here. The old Scottish tradition is still carried out. The Country Club is the place where many families still choose to "Coming Out" business novice marriages for their daughters and family.

The Ocean Forest Hotel was the hotel - very large with over 300 rooms, crystal chandeliers, a dance through the night, swimming pools - inside and out, and stables for horses. It 'was the home of WMY13 first radio station. In short,was the place to be if you were at Myrtle Beach. Unfortunately it was demolished in 1974 to make way for "progress."

In those days long ago, Sandy had a weekly telephone operators and Myrtle held with all and knew everything that was going on! In 1952, the first Miss South Carolina contest was held and is nothing but our Mickey Spillane was one of the judges.

These are just a few glimpses into the rich history of one ofAmerica's most popular beaches.

I have lived here for 20 years, and I grew to know the history and modern life, here on this line of 60 miles of sand and surf to appreciate.

Friends and family will always come to visit. Sometimes I can be home, but if I can, I always in her apartments on the sea, a local company that I learned to trust and leave your perfect lodging and golf packages available for friends of my husband, I love the game asmuch like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment